Thursday 28 July 2016

Review: Frankenstein by Mary Shelley

Frankenstein
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Ah, as I finished the book, I realized one thing: Frankenstein's monster is not a monster, he is a microcosm and metaphor of every abnormal, different, disabled human on earth. Every human that is prejudiced against, every human that is judged based on appearance. He is not a monster, he IS humanity, constantly at war with itself.

SLIGHT SPOILERS AHEAD



His actions are a result of self-pity, and the never ending cycle of hatred. Understandable, but not justified. Actions that, honestly, any other human would commit.

Frankenstein isn't evil either, he made one very stupid mistake. But, his mistake wasn't in creating a being, it was in not caring for the being when created. He isn't the first "creator" (parent) that abandons their child. This entire story is like a hyperbole of every neglect story ever.

My one problem with the novel was the huge amount of redundant descriptions of the environment. It's fine when the beauty of the mountains etc, etc, is mentioned once... but, when there's one every page it just drags on. I wanted the focus to be all on Frankenstein and the monster especially. Which it did right in the middle, and right at the end.

Otherwise, I loved this novel. And, I think it's just going to fuel my classics binge for the rest of the summer.

View all my reviews on Goodreads

No comments :

Post a Comment