Sunday 2 October 2016

Review: Deadly Games by Lindsay Buroker

Deadly Games (The Emperor's Edge, #3)
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Each book in the series just gets better and better. And, when I found out that this is not just a trilogy, and that there are actually multiple books in the series... Oh boy, I think it's time to lock myself in.

I pretty much powered through the first three books, right now I'm taking a little break. Because, you see, when I read a really good series that allows me to get super absorbed in the world, I come back to reality very disoriented. And then I realize that I haven't eaten anything in 24 hours

In this new adventure with Amaranthe and the gang, we investigate a missing persons case occurring during the Games (kind of like the olympics).


Amaranthe and Sicarius's friendship is cute and funny as always, and yes... this is the third book, and yes... they are still just friends. Hurrah for realistic relationships.
"Care to tell us where the rest of the loaded firearms in your flat are?" she asked.

"Not really," Mancrest said.

"Then I guess Sicarius will have to follow you around all night, hovering over your shoulder while you eat. Breathing down your neck. Sharing your salad. Hogging your croutons."

That might have drawn a snort from Sicarius had they been alone, but with someone else present, he gave no hints of emotion
Oh, Amaranthe, how I love you.

Which reminds me, she is probably one of the few rarest female leads ever. She leads everyone, smooth talks her way out of trouble without needing anyone's rescue, and she isn't treated like a dainty princess:
"Your knee" Sicarius asked, [...]

"Yes. I don't think I'll be joining you for a morning run anytime soon."

"Akstyr can fix it."

"Surely, I'll need to rest it for a couple of weeks."

"Days." [...]

"Aren't I entitled to a vacation now and then?" she asked. [...]

"With Akstyr's healing, two days should be sufficient rest for your knee. Then your training can commence again."

Amaranthe sighed. "You're an unrelenting taskmaster."

"Yes."
HAHA. Nice try Amaranthe. She gets her knee crushed in an accident and is unable to walk, and then tries to smooth talk her way out of training. And Sicarius is like, NOPE.

View all my reviews on Goodreads.

No comments :

Post a Comment