Friday 16 December 2016

Review: The Lie Tree by Frances Hardinge

The Lie Tree
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

As a hard core Hardinge fan I was slightly disappointed with this novel. Don't get me wrong, I still loved it. Between the drastic transformation of the protagonist, the lack of romance, and the original story, this was a really enjoyable read.

But, it was lacking something, all her other books have this mystical and dreamlike quality in them. Beyond the mystery of her father's death and the sexist issues covered in the book, it kind of felt like it was lacking the usual "Hardinge magic". It could be that it just wasn't my cup of tea, but I think there were some parts that kind of dragged on.

The mystery felt too underdeveloped and anticlimactic. Even though the culprit wasn't obvious, it didn't feel shocking because I didn't really feel any attachment/hatred towards the villain. They were just kind of there.

I really did enjoy it though, I loved the concept of the lie tree, the whole debate of evolution vs religion, the hidden world of women that was explored. This book is creepy, very creepy and I can't really see why my library placed it in the juvenile section.

View all my reviews on Goodreads

No comments :

Post a Comment